Welcome, Guest     Sign in
Communities > Diagnostic & Analysis System > MaxiSys > vci connection error
vci connection error

6484 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: 2014-03-03 14:39:13

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    jmoar
    2014-03-02 11:17:17
    We just purchased this unit for our dealership to help us with some diagnosis issues prior to sending them out for repair as we have been taken advantage of.  We plugged the VCI unit into an Audi that showed a check engine light after a jump start and the red error light came on the VCI.  No matter what we plug it into now the light shows error and it will not communicate with the car.  We have only had the unit 3 weeks and it has only been plugged into three cars.  I went on line and updated the firmware of the unit but it just says error.  The manual says that light mean major hardware problem.  We are not mechanic, but need to know what the heck to do?  Does anyone have an idea on how to make it work again?  

Thanks for any help.   

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-03-02 13:11:22 (Reply to:jmoar)

Hi that red light  will come on then go away as it connects to the vci thru the buetooth  can you try connecting it with the usb cable to see if the red light will go off if it does your bluetooth is turned off   and one more question when you updated the vci  did it give you any errors while updating  and did you used the usb cable to update it.  and did all this happend right after you connected it to that audi  that car could have been jumped backwards and burnt the computer  sending a high voltage thru the data line  try it with the usb cable and let me know what happens. don't connect it to that audi again until we sort this out.

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    jmoar
    2014-03-02 13:55:14 (Reply to:ede65)
     The light does come on and then goes out, but the scanner says there is no connection.  Sometimes it said turn off ignition and try again in 10 seconds and others it just says no connection.  

I did update via the supplied USB cable and that appeared to go fine.  

Also we believe it was not working on the previous car we checked as well, but really determined it would not connect on the Audi.  The Audi does drive perfectly and I have driven it now for 3 days.  Is there a way to connect the scanner directly to a car without the VCI unit?  

Thank you for the thoughts.  we don't know what to do at this point.

•   Level 4   
    (169) points
    Scootincivic

2014-03-02 14:08:32 (Reply to:jmoar)

Does sound as if the VCI is having issues.
    However this is rather unlikely unless there was a spike in OBD power prong.
    On the bottom of the screen (task bar between the volume/screen brightness & vol
    control) is there a GREEN check mark on the VCI icon once the VCI module is plugged
    in?
    If not then there is a connection issue. Either via Blue tooth or the VCI dongle itself.
    Hardwiring from the OBD connector to the VCI module plus with the USB cable to the
    Maxisys will eliminate the blue tooth error..
    However if the unit still will not communicate with a vehicle either the VCI is bad or
    incorrect vehicle was selected..

•   Level 10   
    (7890) points
    ede65

2014-03-02 15:35:44 (Reply to:jmoar)

sorry to hear that it all appears to be a bad vci to me   but it could also  be the tablet it self  I believe  this is the first case of vci i see or hear  lets see what tech support has to say about this or maybe another member can shine some  light on this issue.

•   Level 2   
    (11) points
    jmoar
    2014-03-02 16:34:29 (Reply to:Scootincivic)
     Thank you.  I will have to check in the morning when i go back to work.  did not register a bluetooth error that i remember.  just looked like i was not connected to the car in any way.  I'll take a look at these ideas in the morning and see if the tech support can help. Being only 3 weeks old it is extremely odd, but just my luck.

Thank you

•   Level 4   
    (103) points
    Gbones

2014-03-03 14:39:13 (Reply to:jmoar)

I had this problem with a Honda crv  then I plugged it into a Benz and same problem so I shut it down and connected it to the USB and restarted it and problem went away and haven't had a problem since I don't know why it happened . I will tell you it got me upset though. I hope it dose not happen again. 
  Total1 Pages